Friday, August 14, 2015

Quilt Backs... not exciting but required

I'm finishing up the prep on my Orca Bay quilt since it needs to be dropped off at the fairgrounds today.  This is about the process regarding backs which I know isn't exciting.

I have started buying fabric when it is very cheap at the quilt shops to use for quilt backs, especially flannels since that's been my preference lately (it gets cold here, I like flannel... besides, Seattle and flannel go hand in hand: reference grunge).  But I don't discriminate if the price is right and I will buy regular cotton as well.

Flannel Quilt Back

This quilt back is made with leftover flannels from two other quilt backs.  I don't mind pieced backings, in fact I really like the fact that I am using up scrap pieces.  The back of Darrin's latest quilt was made from the scraps from the top (which now looks like another quilt).

Top of the quilt:
Woodwinds; Ocean Waves

What I used for the back:
Quilt back
This was actually a lot of work in order to get it to the right size.

How many of you have started doing this as well?  If a quilt is a gift, typically I won't piece it like this, and I may actually buy the larger backing fabric like I did for the Desert Stars engagement quilt I made for my step son and fiance.

I have on order some fabrics (that I found with deep savings) to use for backs for two quilts in particular.  If I have an idea in mind, I will do this as well.  But it is likely that what is leftover from those two quilt backs is going to end up pieced together into a back for another future quilt.

Flannel Quilt Back

Now, about that Orca Bay quilt.  Because flannel is such a fur collector, by the time I finally began quilting it had so much pet hair on it that I used the lint brush as I quilted. I pulled off so much fur!  I believe the majority is from Gordon and my dearly departed Gracie, but I know that Loki is as much to blame.  I've had to keep my quilt room shut while I hung it up on my design (my everything) wall because he has taken to attacking the wall.  Washing the quilt de-furred it even more and running the lint brush over it one more time, while also inspecting for threads to cut, I think the quilt is now ready to be dropped off.

Flannel Quilt Back
A very naughty cat who is definitely in plot-mode.

3 comments:

  1. I love pieced backs and quirky backs....I used vest panels for the back of a very scrappy quilt. LOVE the back of Daniel's, it's like 2 quilts in 1. And flannel is my favorite. I am not a preshrinker, I like when the whole quilt gets crinkly and soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see your comment Judy! That is such a fun and quirky idea to use vest panels for a backing. I love that idea! I also love it when the quilt shrinks after I'm all finished too.

      Delete
  2. I love to piece backs...for the interest, but like you said, I love the satisfaction of using up "leftovers" or something else that isn't quite perfect enough for the quilt top. :) I feel your pain when it comes to "de-furring." LOL

    ReplyDelete