Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bordered Diamonds Top

I need to face facts and possibly invest in better lighting for my quilt room.  If you look at the bottom/center of this quilt, just know that is the the best representation of the colors in the border and for the majority of the quilt.

Bordered Diamonds

I love this top so far, but I don't like the technical aspects of the directions.  Cutting ten leftover diamond sections to create the outside edges is kind of a joke because you lose your points when squaring up the top (especially for the corners when you are to cut one diamond into fourths).  I made the decision to square up using the points of my diamonds as a general area to cut. I may have lost their points, but at least there is conformity.  I'm guessing that Liza Prior Lucy has a method for sewing up Kaffe's ideas.

I had placement errors when sewing my rows together, but I decided not to rip out because of the stretching bias. Also, I discovered after I sewed my end pieces that the diamonds I chose to cut for the top/bottom (right now the quilt top is on its side)--3 were of the same center fabric. Sigh. At the time I was focusing on the border fabrics. I should have looked again the next day. Oh well.

I am considering making a round of simple blocks to make the top larger.  I do love the vibrant colors, but when people mentioned to me about being careful with the bias edges, that's no joke.  I think if I did it again I would starch the fabrics to a cardboard consistency :)

From Kaffe Fassett's book "Simple Shapes and Spectacular Quilts".

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the brightness of it. I don't see any placement errors, just simple beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Bright. The Blocks on the outside will stabilize the top. I don't like sewing with Bias either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilts made with Kaffe fabrics always look amazing to me. Yours is no exception. Beautiful.

    I can't tell you how many times my advice to beginners on not choosing bias projects gets ignored and then I hear "you were right". Uh yea...! Definitely have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete