Monday, May 4, 2015

Ohio Stars--Image Heavy


I have an antique quilt that I love that is a scrappy Ohio Star.It has a mix of some great 1880's fabrics, and they alternate with a great purple fabric. The purples of that era can be difficult to find because they are a refuge color. I have some parts of the purples where it looks brown, but the majority is intact. I took some quick pics of it attached to the bottom of this post.

I worked on a doll quilt using the idea of my 1800's Ohio Star, but I used blue as the alternating block since it was what I had in nearly a yard. My error? Not quilting in the strip border. I tossed it in the wash with a few other quilts for a quick wash and I ended up being very unhappy with how it came out. I pressed it and attempted to re-square it (it was totally squared up when I applied the binding), but I cannot send that out to someone for the doll quilt exchange. Though the stars are wonderful 3" blocks, that dang border ruined what I hoped for in the quilt. I'm not really sure what I'll do with it next.

Doll Quilt Swap


And now some pictures of my purple Ohio Star quilt. A friend handquilted it for me, I absolutely love this quilt!  From what I can tell, there are 56 different fabrics used for the stars.
1880's Ohio Star

Some madders:
1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

Other gorgeous fabrics:
1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

1880's Ohio Star

The star on the left was a purple, but now the purple is gone:
1880's Ohio Star

I bought the quilt top back when they were pretty inexpensive to come by on Ebay.  I don't know if prices have come down or not, it's been a long time since I have bid on anything there.  My winning bid for this top was $79.  A friend of mine handquilted it for me, I included a reproduction fabric for the back, but the binding is a black mourning print from the 1880s.  I wish I had a huge place to display this quilt in its entirety, but I do display it once a year in my rotation.

Clicking through the pictures, you can make them larger at flickr if you would like to see more detail in the prints.

4 comments:

  1. I Love your Doll quilt. Can you remove the Binding and quilt the border so It can be sent? The Puple Ohio Stars Quilt is just gorgeous! It was well worth the $$ you paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do that, but I've already finished up another :) I think the person I am sending to would probably like the other one better (I did some peeking at her blog, I don't know her and doubt she reads here... yet :)

      I think overall on that purple quilt, I spent around $300 including the quilting. I wish it was one that could be used, but I am concerned about keeping those purples around for as long as possible. I need to put a note on there about the quilt's history that I know as well as a note to say not to get it wet.

      Delete
  2. My suggesstion is the same as Mary's but I see you said you already made another quilt! I'm impressed. I love the purple stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've decided to go ahead and take off the binding and rework that border. I won't be happy with it until I do, may as well not fight it! :)

      Delete