Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Updates! A Featherweight and Progress on 2014 SAL

Two weeks ago I purchased a 1947 Featherweight 221 from a friend on the Washington State Quilters list.  I just started looking, put out feelers in case anyone knew of one local that I could purchase, browsed ebay, shopGoodwill (like ebay) and craigslist and was pretty much put off by how much they were being bid up.  I knew eventually I would own one, and decided to be patient.  Well... then came the first of the month when one regional facebook group allows for sale postings.  And Mary W still had her featherweight for sale.
1947 Featherweight
It took me this long to finally sit down with it since I'd been sick and had no attention span to really play.  Today I did, and I think I am in love.  More than I thought I would be!
1947 Featherweight
It has 5 bobbins, bobbin case, 7 feet, brush, screw drivers, manual, needles, keys (2), lubricant, oil... All in great condition. The light also works, but I have since ordered an LED bulb along with more bobbins. Also... an invoice from when it was serviced:
1947 Featherweight
If you look at this at flickr at a greater resolution, you'll see the service date and the price for a cleaning and oil for $5.50, in 1953.

1947 Featherweight
A question for those in the know... is the power cord suppose to be white like this? It seems like it has a powdery substance on it. Should I be concerned?

1947 Featherweight
It sews a great stitch!

1947 Featherweight
1947 Featherweight
I love the original owner's identification still on it.

1947 Featherweight
Such a pretty faceplate!

I oiled it (with the oil I currently have, not sure if the oil in the can is still ok, will have to read on that), and lubed the motor, and tried it out while working on part 4 of Primitive Gatherings' 2014 SAL.

SAL part 4
Just two more rounds to go and the top will be finished. Hopefully I will be done before 2015's SAL is announced :)

One funny thing, while working on the top I decided I am going to use up the threads that are on the 5 bobbins before winding with what I have.  I ran out--or I thought I ran out--of the first bobbin, but when I pulled it out I found that it had a different color thread underneath what I had been sewing with :) Making do!  The featherweight also came with a 500yd spool of cotton thread, with a price of just .39!  I don't know if I'll use that or just keep it in the case.  Mary originally purchased the FW on craigslist, I'm not sure how it made its way from Colorado to Portland, Oregon, but I am thrilled to have it now.  I am thinking about naming it Miss Lee which is mine and my mom's middle name.  Seems appropriate.  Or, maybe Josephine? :)

And then I looked across my sewing room and found the kitten found a box (which currently has printer ink stored) to nap in. I'm surprised it didn't fall off the spot it was resting on.
cat in the box
Oh Loki....

Edit: I think I may have found Josephine by the power of the internet.  If it is the same person (and I don't want to renew my ancestry account right now to dig deeper), she lived from 1914 until 2008, age 93, and died in Englewood Colorado (which isn't far from Lafayette).  Still no clear connection as to how the featherweight made it to Oregon.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got her! Fun to find the original owner possibly as well. You are doing great with your Quilt. Lots of pieced borders there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I've always wanted a Featherweight too. Some day! Have fun sewing with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love it. The only thing I want to change about it is the foot control. The one I have now has aluminum wiring and I guess that isn't safe, so I will be buying a new one soon. The tiny button is also strange to me... but other than that, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed using it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thrilled for you! Find someone to change out that old wiring. Get the new foot control, invest in a few more bobbins and remember to thread her from the inside out......long story. I love they way the FWs purr. So distinctive and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't they just the sweetest machines. I sew on mine all the time, maybe more than my Bernina. There is a web site for a business specializing in the FW's that's located here in North Central Idaho. It's april1930s.com and they cover a lot on their site. They also do workshops for maintenance and may be able to offer you suggestions. I'm taking the class in March here in Grangeville, ID and am so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! It has been fun with it so far. I have already purchased a few things from April 1930s too :) And am on their facebook page as well. The tips have been great and have helped me pinpoint a couple of issues. My youngest son wants to learn to sew and I think I am going to let him learn on that machine since my old Kenmore is so fussy (and no way is he ready to use the Juki). The 221 is a great machine and I am so happy to have it! I still can't get over how much I am enjoying it.

      Delete