Monday, August 11, 2014

Orca Bay: post from 9/17/2013

***Note, this is from my first blog which got overtaken by a spam virus, and I ended up shutting it down.  This morning while reading through Feedly (where I read my blogs), I discovered when clicking on my old blog (I never unsubscribed my old blog) I could pull up old posts.  I am thrilled because now I can place certain posts here and save them.  I will have this note on top of any post that is from my old blog****
Orca Bay finished top
I love it. I am really pleased with the greens and browns together, it came together just as I had hoped. I have 1.75 yds left of the eggshell and 2.25yds of black leftover however. That’s quite a bit–and that’s including having already cut binding strips too.

I am actually contemplating making a second lap/twin-sized one with this scheme to include with the Blue and Gold Banquet for either the silent auction or tickets. Not sure. If I do that I will instruct Kevin to bid on it if it does not reach at least $200. We’ll see. I am going to think about it for another month and also look through my stash to see what sort of cub/boy scout fabrics I have left over that could be used in a different quilt.

This top is 3rd in queue right now for a total finish. I better get moving on those other quilts!
_______________________________________________________________
***update: this is a post from Aug 19, 2013, before the top was together.  I wanted to note the difference between the pattern layout and the layout I chose:
I am thinking I am going to change the name of the quilt, but nothing strikes me yet. Maybe something with coffee since the browns are all from a coffee fabric line. I am currently working on the wing units. I have a lot to go, but that’s really the only part left of this project to piece together. I don’t have my Ohio Stars together yet because I am playing with the layout (want to be sure which centers to stick with first). In trying to figure out which color combination I wanted to use, I came across someone who changed the star placement: light with the string triangle blocks framing instead of framing the dark stars. Visually I thought it had more of an impact than the other way. So which do you like better…

Book Layout:
Orca Bay: testing layout
Other Layout:
Orca Bay: testing layout
One annoyance I have with the instructions is the amount of fabric (specifically the black and whites) the pattern called for. At this point I have all pieces cut and I have over 2 yards left of the black and about 2 of the eggshell. The pattern call for 6yds black, 5yds white. I knew when I bought it that it seemed like more than needed, but had I been buying a $10yd fabric I would not have been happy at all with the leftovers. As it is, I can use the eggshell down the road, and I need black for my hexagons anyway. I just don’t like buying THAT much extra.

Little by little the quilt is coming together!
edit: I just noticed I have a triangle strip placed wrong at the bottom. At least I don’t have any rows put together yet
_____________________________________________________
***update 8/11/2014: this is still in queue to be quilted and I doubt I would give this one up for an auction.  Also, there wasn't a silent auction at our last Blue and Gold so no quilt needed to be finished :)  Looking at this photo, I am itching to finish it now!

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie is usually pretty close on her directions. I like the 2nd layout of your stars. My Camera is my Best EYE to see Boo Boos before I sew them. I dislike "froggin" but will do it to make my blocks correct. I'm glad you found your old posts from the Spammed Blog.

    ReplyDelete