Monday, August 18, 2014

Old Post: 12/5/2012 and 8/31/2013, Playing with Hexagons

***Note, this is from my first blog which got overtaken by a spam virus, and I ended up shutting it down.  While reading through Feedly (where I read my blogs), I discovered when clicking on my old blog (I never unsubscribed my old blog) I could pull up old posts.  I am thrilled because now I can place certain posts here and save them.  I will have this note on top of any post that is from my old blog.

This post was the oldest one I could get back to.  Though my old blog started in 2003 and I missing all the posts from before this, I am happy to be able to save some****
Every so often I get the urge to pull out the hexagon blocks I have made so far (up to 44!) and play with the color/fabric to see what designs I could come up with and maybe start piecing the blocks together. I scrolled through some great pinterest boards (one and the other) that quilters have created with just hexagon quilts today–in the past I have used google, but I found pinterest easier with the created boards. Maybe it was because people tend to pin what they love rather than just using the search word algorithm via google (so lots of duplicates in that regard). The first quilt at this post was pinned and that’s what got me to lay out the blocks I’ve made so far. I liked the center, but I ran into problems in figuring out what to do from there. I have two sets of blocks (12 each) that are the same fabrics that I need to either spread out in the quilt or come up with a design idea.
I wish I started with a plan, but if I had a plan I’m not sure I would have come this far with these blocks. Not only that, but I haven’t found an easy way to doodle a plan with these hexies. I have software, but I can’t install it on this laptop (I don’t trust this computer since it is old and not reliable). And with paper… I hate erasing when I find that I am a couple of hexagons off! that happens too often. Anyway…

Here are some ideas I played with this afternoon. Our living room has pretty bad lighting, but you get the general idea. I have more dark hexagons in waiting (enough for 24 more blocks), right now I am on a light/medium mood for the sewing.
HexagonsHexagonsHexagons
HexagonshexagonsHexagonsHexagons




































The blocks are put back for now. I’ll probably pull them out again when I finish up another dozen.

*****Update from Aug 31, 2013 that I decided to add to this post:
And I am still working with the hexagons. I am up to 50 finished flower sections. I am undecided about my layout and background still. I like the stars pattern that I posted about a while ago, but now I am not sure:
Hexagon Quilt
I really like yellow fabrics and I’d like to use them more, so I was considering this…
Yellow:
Grandmother's Flower Garden Progress
Thinking not. My flower blocks get lost in the yellow I think
Black:
Grandmother's Flower Garden Progress
I like this.
And a possible layout:
Grandmother's Flower Garden Progress
I really wish I could nail down a layout that I’d like to do so I can start putting the flower blocks together into a quilt. Right now it just seems like I am collecting… I am feeling just too wishy washy on that quilt. So as the mood strikes me, I will continue to just put some down and take pictures. Hopefully one of the pictures will hit me as to which design I want to do soon! Isn’t it great to have digital cameras to be able to test designs?

3 comments:

  1. I like the black, but I like some of the older layouts too. What a decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choices, Choices. I like the stars too. Have you looked at the Hexies Bonnie has done. Go to Quiltville and search Hexie or look on her Free patterns tab for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really like the black. I love that you can use the camera without having to develop film. Remember THOSE days??? :)

    ReplyDelete