Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Family Camping: old post 8/15/2013

***Note, this is from my first blog which got overtaken by a spam virus, and I ended up shutting it down.  While reading through Feedly (where I read my blogs), I discovered when clicking on my old blog (I never unsubscribed my old blog) I could pull up old posts.  I am thrilled because now I can place certain posts here and save them.  I will have this note on top of any post that is from my old blog****
_____________________________________________________
This year we had planned to spend a few days camping at Lake Easton. It’s one of those places that you just drive past while on I-90 heading east towards Ellensburg, Spokane, Pullman, Idaho…. It’s just off the freeway, but for me, I usually am waiting impatiently for the Indian John Hill rest stop to show up that I am just ignoring signs for Lake Easton.
Anyway, we changed our minds and cancelled the camping reservation. I was thinking about heading to Vantage to see the horses but with the Colockum Tarps fire burning, the skies had been pretty thick with smoke. There were a few other places we were going to check out as well while staying there, and then we were thinking about heading north and taking the North Cascades loop back home. Good thing we changed our travel plans because due to the huge thunderstorm and rain that happened last week, mudslides have occurred at the northern part of the loop between mile post 147 and 157. That would have been a long drive back after finding out about the closure.
Wynoochee Lake
Instead, we made reservations at Coho Campground at Wynoochee Lake in the Olympic National Forest. This is a lake that was created around 1972, and the dam was finished around 1994. I don’t really know the stages that took place in the creation of this place, but it was a good and well-maintained campground. No showers however, and port-a-potties due to the bathrooms being stopped up. The nice thing however was that we had two potties all to ourselves for the most part. We only had one other nearby neighbor. It wasn’t packed most likely due to the off-the-grid nature of the location (along with no stores, gas, etc…. you have to plan for this trip).
We had a great time. I was concerned that we were going to get rained on as the weather forecast was calling for rain Sunday-Wednesday. Instead, we had SUNSHINE the entire time. Some low clouds in the morning, but those burnt off before 11 each day. Also, there is a state-wide burn ban in place. We tried to find information on that before we left but it was very confusing as to where campfires were banned. I was very happy to see campers with campfires going when we pulled in the campground. I’m so happy Kevin packed the firewood!
The whole place was just beautiful. I’ve already posted a lot of pictures at facebook, so I’ll post a few that haven’t been uploaded there. If I was in full photographer mode, I would have taken my time to find correct settings, what I have to show are just point and shoot.
Wynoochee Lake
a creek runs through it
Olympic National Forest
Just above the lake:
Wynoochee River
First night’s dinner: Elk backstrap foil packet dinner. It was so good and I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of the finished product!! I had planned to!
Elk Backstrap Foil Packet Dinner
At home I cut strips from the backstrap, marinaded in Kikkoman Garlic and Green Onionteriyaki, later stir fried, cooked brown rice, some frozen mixed veggies. We let the boys create their own dinners, added a little bit more Kikkoman and froze them to save for the first night dinner. I can’t wait to make this again… I just need to bug my brother for his source of venison!
Gratuitous bacon and coffee shot:
Campfire bacon and coffee
The second night we had a chicken caccitore. I wish I had used my slow roasted tomatoes for this recipe–it would have made it perfect. This was another easy meal, this time in a dutch oven. We browned the chicken at home and then froze them. More frozen veggies, bottle of beer, canned tomatoes, some seasonings, cook up some pasta, and about 45mins later you have dinner.
Dutch Oven Chicken Caccitore
We added cheese since we had extra due to my forgeting the hashbrowns for the mountain man breakfast Kev was going to make on the first morning. The chicken was very good. Sauce was so-so.
We did a lot of walking, checking out geocaches, walking on trails and basically exploring. My feet are tired, and tonight I will sleep well in my own bed. Here is a peek-a-boo shot of the lake while on a trail:
Wynoochee Lake
On the third day the boys went fishing. Nothing was caught except a few bullheads but in those two hours I was able to get about 1.5 flowers finished for my Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt. This was just before the boys went off fishing, leaving me some quiet time:
Hexagon Sewing by the fire
Started in 2001 and drug to many camping trips, hospital visits, retreats, etc. I should be done by now… For 1″ hexagons, this bead box is perfect. It fits the hexi groups just right, and I have room to put my thread and scissors. I can also close it with a partially finished flower in it. Great for taking along anywhere.
Wynoochee Lake
I think that is it for our Devin Family Camp Out 2013 Edition. Next up is back to school shopping! Oy…

2 comments:

  1. Love all your Pretty Hexies. Great idea to freeze the foil dinners. Going camping this week-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foil dinner with the elk backstrap was so good! It was definitely an easy dinner to do. Where are you camping at? I see campfires are banned in all state parks until further notice. We ran into that last year, but for some reason they were allowed at this campground (maybe because it was a differently designated campground?).

      Delete