Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Newest Start: a Kaleidoscope Quilt

This is the latest pattern I am attempting.  I took the photo with my iphone, just wanting a quick shot that I could blog about.  The fabrics are all in the green family, but some did not photograph very well.  I originally saw the setting with the pattern using Tonga batiks, called Tonga Rising Sun, Red Dawn quilt.  Here is one link for it at batiks.com.
kaleidoscope quilt

Right now I am a little intrigued with kaleidoscope quilts.  I may play with various fabric options on other quilts down the road.  After sewing up the 24 blocks (I need to make 63 total), I checked out pinterest for the different styles.  The ideas are springing forth in my brain!  I was also VERY disappointed to learn that none of my isosceles triangle rulers are the right dimensions, so I had to actually cut out a template.  As of today, I have a ruler now on the way (I wish I already had it with my other rulers! so frustrating not to have the right size).

I did some stash acquisition today to add some more kid-friendly greens to the mix.  By the time the quilt is finished, it will have 30 different greens, so it should be a nice scrappy quilt.  The blocks finish at 8".  When it is all together, it should have some eye tricks with circles appearing... I hope!

Fun stuff!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! The greens are awesome and if I close one eye I can see circles now! I went off searching for my Kaleidoscope ruler (it came with a book I'm sure) and didn't find it but I found my missing Tri-Recs rulers and my applique pressing sheet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you didn't buy a second set of Tri-Recs like I did when they were missing....and then later found! :)

      Delete
    2. And you just found a box with oddball things in it too, and it wasn't in there? :)

      Cindy, I remember the one retreat where I was cutting away triangles for hexagon blocks and I pulled out the wrong triangle ruler! Instead of an even number 6, it took 7 triangles to make the block. I still have those in a drawer because I was so disgusted with myself...

      Delete
  2. Looks great, Mel! Another pattern I have always loved.

    ReplyDelete